Wednesday 26 October 2011

I've changed my mind about changing my name, what to do?

My husband and got married about a month ago (in NY). When we got married, we decided to change our last names, and that is what it says we plan to do on both the marriage license and certificate. However, neither of us have started the name change process and have decided that we would like to keep our pre-marriage last names for awhile longer, if not indefinitely, because of our professions. Can we update the marriage certificate to reflect this? Or file some sort of paperwork to nullify that request? I know we could likely just carry on and never change our names without issue, but because of other legal and immigration issues, we'd like to set it right. (We accept the fact that if we choose to change our names in the future, we will likely have to pay to do so.)



Thanks!
I've changed my mind about changing my name, what to do?
That's strange, my marriage license doesn't say anything about what I changed my name too. It just shows my husband's info, my info, and then the date that we were married, and who we were married by.



What I was changing my name to was not even discussed by anyone until I went to the DMV to get my new license.



But there is no time-limit on when you have to change your name. I highly doubt it will ever be an issue at all. I'd just contact the court house and see what they have to say.
I've changed my mind about changing my name, what to do?
You need to see what the laws are in NY about this. You don't need a lawyer for this though, I'd make a phone call to the county clerks office--probably the same place you got your marriage licence. They should be able to give you the answer you need.
There isn't a time limit of when you need to change your name by. There isn't a name changing enforcement agency out there who will make you do it. It is nice that you have that option to do it, and you might decide in a few months that you want to stick with your original plan afterall. I think you should let it be, and when you get around to changing it, then you get to it. But when you do change your name with the SSA, then you should start changing the rest of your information with banks, motor vehicles, etc.
Contact the local county clerk's office, they may be able to shed some light on this for you. Dependent upon NY law you may need to get an attorney to file with the court to make the needed changes. It may be possible to amend the documents since you've not started the process.
If you feel that there are legal and immigration issues or other unforseeable tax/social matters that will not benefit you regarding your current status, my advice change/update your your certificate at the lawyers office at once to clear up all this matters at once instead of letting it dilly-dallying to pile up bigger problems under your nose/feet in future.
Ask the Clerk's Office if you can file and amendment to the Marriage License. Must be sworn and Notarized.
Are you sure your license and certificate said that you were changing your name? I've been married eleven (11) times and NONE of the applications or certificates mentioned anything about whether or not I would change my name. Check your paperwork again. There may be something in there directing HOW to change your name if you so choose but I doubt that you had to specify whether you would be doing that or not.