Saturday 24 September 2011

I was given a $100 deposit on a leather sectional Im selling. Buyer changed mind and wants $ back. Should I?

She gave me $100 to save the sectional for her until she could arrange for it to be picked up. Two days later she found a different sectional and wants her money back promising to give me something for my troubles. Meanwhile Ive turned away interested buyers. Nothing was in writing. Should I refund her deposit?
I was given a $100 deposit on a leather sectional Im selling. Buyer changed mind and wants $ back. Should I?
I tend to agree with the board, no.



However, if you wanted to be nice. You could tell her no, but, if the couch sells within the week without a problem, I'll consider refunding you $xx amount.



I'm not sure how you posted the couch, but advertising is not free. If you had to repost your couch, thats time and money too.



Also, if you tell her No, but that you'll consider refunding a portion of her deposit if you don't have any problems relisting and selling it. She might go away and leave you alone, and then when the couch hasn't sold in a two weeks, she might feel bad that she aided to that, and leave you alone too.



I think that its sweet that you're trying to do the right thing, you putting up the post shows that you're a nice guy. But even nice guys need to draw a line.



Good luck.
I was given a $100 deposit on a leather sectional Im selling. Buyer changed mind and wants $ back. Should I?
what deposit? She left money in earnest for a couch then changed her mind? I would say that the mind change just cost her to the tune of $100. tell her to be grateful she did not put 200 down %26quot;as a holding deposit%26quot;.





She paid you to hold it. You held it. She decided after paying you that she had buyers remorse and wants her $$ back?



Sorry charlie. No refunds, no exchanges. Nothing in writing either?



What deposit? give the money to the person who WANTS to buy your sectional------for now you can afford to knock 100 bux off the price!



What deposit? I dont see any deposit?-
A deposit is a guarantee that they will be back to get the item. If they change their mind the deposit is lost.



But that being said, if it was someone you know, you may want to settle on a smaller amount so that you dont cause problems with them down the road.



If it were me, and they were not a stranger, i would inform them of the definition of a deposit... and offer to sell the item to them again, upholding your end of the deposit. If they still refuse to buy it.. the deposit covers the lack of sale period that they caused you.
  • get time from datetime
  • get time from datetime
  •