Wednesday 21 September 2011

Do publishers mind changing POV's in a story?

I am writing a novel, and I'm a little concerned with my POV's. I have two main charchters that interact with each other, but also sometimes do their own things. I switch from one charchter to the other, but it does make sense. Before I keep going, I want to know wether publishers get annoyed at that kind of thing, or if it's OK but not desired, or if it's fine. Some real proof is wanted, not just opinions. Thank you!
Do publishers mind changing POV's in a story?
thats depends

dont switch between two different people if you are doing 1st person POV, its always confusing when it switches and ive never seen it pulled off

but if you are doing 3rd person limited POV, i would go for it. switching character viewpoints, if understandable, makes the book more interesting

lord of the rings does it

i think harry potter does too

eragon



just make sure its clear, then publishers are fine with it and readers love it because they can %26quot;get to know%26quot; each character at different times
Do publishers mind changing POV's in a story?
i havent seen any many professional authors do it but almost every time i read fanfic (which is rarely), its there

my friend also does it and i cant follow the story if my life depended on it

Report Abuse


Publishers don't mind changing point of view, as long as it it clear and easy to follow the switch. They don't want to be confused, because if they are confused, the reader will be confused.
That really depends on the story and the characters, I don't think that publishers really mind, but then again it's all really a matter of personal opinion, weather the publishers themselves like it or not. Just don't go overboard with the switching of POVs, and I think you'll be fine. (I know it's kind of a personal opinion answer but I hoped it helped ;)
Nope! POV swaps, when used correctly, can go beyond the story to effectively help the plot glide. Some famous books that switch POV's:



The Patron Saint of Butterflies



Eclipse



Breaking Dawn


No, in fact, it can be used to an advantage, as long It's done right