Sunday 5 June 2011

Washington State, Apartment Rent, Giving Notice, but Changing Mind?

My wife and I have been month to month on our apartment now. Within the last month, my wife gave notice that we were looking to move out. We used our %26quot;last months rent%26quot; during that month. However, we have since changed our minds-- our landlord knew this was a possibility, as we advised him we may stay afterall.





My question is, can we legally change our minds and remain in the same apartment?





And, is there any law requiring us to %26quot;refill%26quot; our last month rent buffer to remain living at the apartment?





Thanks!|||If the landlord has not re-rented the apartment...he may allow you to stay. He is not legally obligated to do so though...since legal notice has been given.





Yes...you will be required to pay last months rent again.|||If your landlord hasn%26#039;t already rented the apartment and allows you to stay, you need to give him the %26quot;last month%26#039;s rent%26quot; again. That was your original agreement.|||If there is a big demand for apartments he may of already rented it out. The area I live in, I had to sign and leave a deposit almost 2 months in advance to keep the apartment for me that they knew someone was moving out of, they didnt move out on time and I had to pay additional rent at my apt and they were understanding, since they had not prerented my existing apartment yet. The landlord could allow you, he could request also you give him 2 months rent so that he doesnt get stuck if you do not pay the following month after paying for one month. It will be up to both of these situations. If your able to split the deposit over 3 months or so it might be easier if you agree to not overstay the amount of deposit you were able to leave. Hope all works well for you.